Hiring a Provider from Outside Canada

It is possible to hire ABA providers that are not based in Ontario or Canada. International providers with Canadian citizenship or permanent residence visa do not require work permits to work in Canada. They do, however, require a Social Insurance Number(SIN) and the appropriate professional designation.

Before You Hire

Before you hire a foreign provider, it is very important to know about the prerequisites that a foreign provider should meet in order to work in Ontario. Please note that along with satisfying the immigration requirements, it is mandatory for professionals such as psychologists and speech-language pathologists to have a registration with a designated Ontario college before they can perform any work in the province.  

Requirements for a Foreign Worker

A "foreign worker" must have a valid work permit to work in Canada. A Canadian work permit is a temporary resident visa issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada to grant permission to foreign workers seeking to engage in employment in Canada. A foreign worker must obtain a work permit prior to entering Canada. 

If the foreign worker is already in Canada with a work permit to work for another employer, it would be necessary for the employee to seek a new work permit in order to engage in work for you. This may be done within Canada.

A work permit has a typical maximum validity of up to one year, although work permits can be issued for up to three years in some cases. 
It is illegal to employ a foreign national who does not have a valid work permit. As an employer, you are responsible for making sure that your workers have the necessary permits. 

In most cases as an employer, you must make a job offer before a foreign national can apply for a work permit. The job offer should contain the details of the position being offered, including: the title of the position being sought in Canada; the responsibilities associated with that position; remuneration for employment; the duration of the position; and the location of employment.

The job offer confirmation is conducted by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada. This organization works in conjunction with Citizenship and Immigration Canada to ensure that the employment of foreign workers has an overall beneficial effect to Canada. 
Depending on the nature of the position and the location of the job offer, there may exist recognized shortages, such as an ABA professional, which can facilitate confirmation of certain job offers. 

The duration of the confirmation process depends on a number of factors, including the specific location at which the offer is being made. On average, delays for such cases are 45 to 60 days.

There are a number of designated professionals from the United States and Mexico whom are exempt from the requirement of obtaining a labor market opinion. These designated professionals must satisfy minimum credential requirements and before commencing their employment, obtain the necessary professional license, certification, accreditation or registration applicable to the practice of their profession in Canada. These include: 

    • Occupational Therapist 
    • Physiotherapist/Physical Therapist 
    • Psychologist 
    • Recreational Therapist 
    • Registered Nurse

416-246-9592 | 1-800-472-7789

1179 rue King Street Ouest, Ste 004 Toronto, ON M6K 3C5


© 2018 Autism Ontario Charitable no. 119248789RR0001

Ce site Web a été créé avec le soutien du ministère des Services à l'enfance et à la jeunesse de l'Ontario.  

Ce site Web est produit grâce au soutien du ministère des Services à l’enfance et à la jeunesse de l’Ontario. 

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software